Monday, December 29, 2014

Banana Pecan Buttermilk Waffles

I have been away from blogging during the holidays to focus on feeding my visiting in-laws. I wanted their first Christmas as my new Ma and Pa to be special, so I devoted lots of time to the menu. And its preparation. I made Ina Garten's Company Pot Roast--a center cut chuck roast in a rich sauce of plum tomato, burgandy and cognac. I also improvised a recipe for gratin dauphinois that turned out tasty. To start the meal I served a warm salad of roasted brussels sprouts tossed with goat cheese crumbles and toasted pecans and dressed in an orange-thyme vinaigrette. The recipe for the salad will be the subject of my next post. Before I get to sharing the particulars of that dish I want to talk about the waffles we had on Christmas morning. I sat next to the waffle maker as my father in law cooked them up and the smell issuing from them was heavenly! This recipe is similar to my pumpkin waffle recipe, the main difference being the included chopped bananas, toasted pecans and a change to my wet ingredient. Because bananas hold a lot of water you want to overfill your waffle iron to get them as fluffy as regular buttermilk waffles. These would also make lovely mini donuts, perhaps with a vanilla and brown sugar caramel glaze? That's a post for another day. If you don't have a waffle maker or a mini donut pan this batter makes lovely pancakes.

Banana Pecan Buttermilk Waffles


Makes 4 large waffles

2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
3 bananas
3/4 cup well shaken buttermilk
1 cup + 2 Tablespoons whole milk
1 Tablespoon Vanilla

1. Preheat the waffle iron to the lowest setting.
2. Sift together dry ingredients: flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and cinnamon.
3. Mash 2 of the bananas together in a small bowl and add 2 Tablespoons of the milk, Stir to incorporate.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, buttermilk, vanilla and mashed bananas.
5. Chop remaining banana into small cubes and mix into wet ingredients. Gradually introduce dry ingredients. Add pecans, then mix in melted butter.
6. Brush waffle iron and fill generously with batter. Cook each waffle individually and enjoy topped with butter and maple syrup.

I hope you enjoyed this recipe and I welcome your feedback!

1 comment:

  1. Totally loved this recipe, book marked it. My kiddo looooves waffles and he can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner:) Will try ur recipe soon:)

    ReplyDelete